We’re excited to partner with Regional Suicide Prevention Coalitions across the state on our first multi-group suicide prevention campaign for this September’s Suicide Prevention Awareness month with a Day of Hope on Sept. 9th, 2021. Your coalition or organization are invited to hold your own signs event and we have the attached media packet to help you prepare for the event and provide ideas for how you can participate in a way that works best for you, your coalition, your organization, and your community.
Stay tuned for more information on what Coalitions will be involved, how you can participate, and photos from the different events.
Do you want to purchase your own signs? Please visit Don’t Give Up Signs for more information on their group, history, and how to order signs and other great materials.
The following coalitions are participating in our 2021 Campaign:
- Suicide Prevention Coalition in Clackamas County
- Central Oregon Suicide Prevention Alliance (Crook County)
- Suicide Awareness and Prevention Council of Curry County
- Gorge Wellness Alliance (Hood River, Sherman, Wasco Counties)
- Jackson County Suicide Prevention Coalition
- You Matter to Klamath
- Suicide Prevention of Lane County
- Linn County Suicide Prevention
- Malheur County Suicide Prevention (Malheur County)
- Mid-Valley Suicide Prevention Coalition (Marion & Polk Counties)
- Union County Suicide Prevention / Response Coalition
In addition to Regional Suicide Prevention Coalition engagement, other organizations, groups, and community resources will be participating. See the growing list below for specifics:
- Oregon Chapter of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Milestones Women’s (and children) Program, Corvallis area
- Trillium Children’s Farm Home, Corvallis area
- Wolf Pack, Clackamas location
Here are some events that are scheduled for September 2021 Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
Sign Planting Event
Clackamas County Health, Housing, and Human Services staff will plant Don’t Give Up Signs at their county buildings. Community members are encouraged to attend.
Clackamas County Health, Housing, and Human Services staff will hold Don’t Give Up Signs at key areas throughout the county throughout the month of September including September 9th.
Month Long Sign Rally
Crook County will hold a Signs of Hope campaign through downtown Prineville through the month of September.
Proclamations and Signage
Curry County created board proclamations that the Curry County Commission approved late August on suicide prevention month and Don’t Give Up signs will be shared across the county in key places.
Deschutes County will hold a yoga class, a candlelight vigil for those who have lost someone to suicide, and an Out of the Darkness Walk partnering with the Oregon Chapter of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
Jackson County Sign will hold a Don’t Give Up sign rally that will connect to suicide prevention and the year anniversary of the fires Jackson County experienced in 2020.
Multiple Events / Activities
Lane County Coalition provided signs to coalition members to do their own events and photos will be shared on social media.
Marion County will hold signs with sign holders wearing Zero Suicide shirts and the coalition also connected with county media.
Media & Sign Rally
Union County reached out to journalists, will put together videos, and will hold Don’t Give Up signs on their main downtown area.